Plan to fly in to Barcelona at the start of your trip, where a representative from Rockbusters will pick you up. From there, you'll be transported to Rodellar, located in the Sierra de Guara National Park west of Barcelona. This whole area, near the Pyrenees mountain range, is very scenic, full of rolling hills, rivers, and gorges, making the area a world-class destination for canyoning as well. Here you'll find about 400 climbs bolted in two gorges: Mascún and Alcanadre.
Even though it provides numerous grades and vertical crags as well as big overhangs, what makes this area truly special are its tufas, huge caves and long and steep stamina routes. Alcanadre gorge is awesome but a little more remote and more difficult to access which makes it less visited. Nevertheless, climbing in Piscineta or Glacier is more than worth the hike! Mascún gorge gets busier, especially in Rodellar's high season, but no matter how busy it gets it is still amazing. Climbing up 130-foot routes that make their way up through caves such as Gran Boveda and Surgencia is a feeling impossible to describe.
By the end of this 8-day camp you’ll leave with solid skills and knowledge of:
- What equipment you need for climbing and how to choose it properly so you’re always safe
- How to belay, set up top-ropes, lead climbs and other technical aspects to build your knowledge base
- How to use a guide book to better navigate climbing areas
- Climbing calls and communication (you'll never sound like a rookie)
- Basic movement skills for improved efficiency and better climbing
- Cleaning anchors and basic understanding of outdoor risks so everyone goes home safe